Trick or Treat
As I was trying to fall asleep last night I was thinking about my crazy family, we all have a crazy family, but I'm sure mine is unique. As we have aged our fun side has remained at a childish level, although we are no longer able to have the physical fun we once had we can tell about some of it now, I'm sure the statute of limitations has long passed. One thing in particular had me literally laughing out loud as I lay in the dark, I was laughing so hard I was crying at a Halloween prank we pulled using my nephew Andrew when he was a teen. It was maybe 10 years ago and my brother Russel and neighbor Jim and I were outside, trying to think of a prank to pull on very better-than-you neighbors (there were only 4 houses in the neighborhood in occupation at the time)...when along came Andrew, he asked if I had anything to drink and all I could offer was water, he asked if I had any Kool-Aid, he'd go make that and I got an inspiration, I ran inside and brought out a plastic one cup measure and asked him to go ask "them" for a cup of sugar, that's when the fun commenced, as we three grown-ups hid behind a tree trying to stifle our laughter we could see Andrew on their porch and knew something more than asking for sugar was going on, he came back and said they told him they had no sugar, he said he then asked for any kind of sweetener, he needed to make Kool-Aid and had no sugar, they said no and he said "look, from the size of y"all I know you have some kind of sweetener, I just need a cup." They sent him away, he said they looked confused and I agreed that was normal for them; we then sent him to Jim's house where he and his Mom lived together, again, we were stifling laughter as he walked to her back door, and then the joke turned on us, he didn't come back for a few minutes, we were thinking all kinds of things and Jim was thinking maybe he should go rescue Andrew when he came running back with a cup full of sugar (the intention was to send him back in about 10 minutes to return the sugar) he said she had invited him in to eat, and we laughed at that, she asked a stranger who was begging for sugar in to eat, as we were processing that niece Leah pulled into the driveway and we gave the sugar to her to return, again we stifled laughter as she went across the street to return the sugar. She didn't fully understand the joke and told Druscilla that the sugar was from me. As we went to her to explain the Halloween "trick" we had tried to pull she informed us that she knew Andrew had come from one of the nearby houses so she wasn't really feeding a stranger and we all marveled at the other neighbors not understanding that it was Halloween, and it was all in fun.
Comments
Post a Comment