President Reagan, Jim Brady and John Hinkley, Jr.

 So, John Hinkley, Jr. will soon be free to live with his Mother in Va. I have mixed feelings about this, part of me is happy that his mental health problems are deemed over but part of me says "He shot the President!" I remember that day so well, the shock of hearing that news and seeing it on TV. It made me remember some things Mother had told me about when President Kennedy was assassinated, how the country just sort of stopped, people didn't know what to do, they were just lost. Stores closed, the banks didn't open, things were pretty much in chaos. Randy was in the Navy and his paycheck had come that day, I knew I needed to get to the bank on base to get money in case President Reagan died, I needed to get to the grocery store and stock up, Levi and I went to base and stood in a long line to get to the bank, he was almost 2 years old, uniformed officers had front-of-the-line privilege and there may have been 20 people ahead of us, bless Levi, every time a plane or helicopter flew over he would point and say "My Daddy's on that plane" and I'd say, "No, Honey, your Daddy isn't on that plane" the officer nearest me would let us get in front of him, when a ship appeared he would point and say "My Daddy's on that boat" and I'd tell him that his Daddy wasn't on that boat, all the time officer's were sending us to the front of the line. I think we must have gotten done in half an hour, plenty of time to get to the grocery store before picking up Randy. I remember talking with Mother and watching the coverage on TV. I remember Hinkley saying he did it to impress Jodie Foster, now she would be in History books because some nut tried to impress her. So, now all these years later he is going to live with his Mom, he is in his 60's now, his Mom must be in her 80's, will he be able to live alone after she dies? How must the men who were also shot that day feel about this? The Brady family? And the families of the police officer and secret service agent who were shot? How might they feel if they ever see Hinkley out in public? He has been in the hospital for years, how well is he going to do out on his own? I don't know, I am just conflicted on this. How about y'all?

Comments

Popular Posts