My Son, a Threat to National Security?

 I have been asked to share this story as I have apparently not told it to many people over the years. Way back in the early Winter of 1982, my family lived in Northern Kentucky, it was a small family, my husband, our two and a half old son, me and I was carrying our baby who would be born in a few months. Our apartment was a townhouse style with two bedrooms upstairs and living room and kitchen downstairs. Our son had a great imagination and had a black and white spotted invisible dog that he would sometimes play with; one day I was upstairs cleaning and heard my son downstairs talking and assumed he was playing with his dog, I loved that dog for so many different reasons, one of the biggest being I never had to clean up after him. As I came downstairs I heard my son say goodbye and hang up the phone so I asked who he had been talking to and he said "Granny" I asked if she didn't want to talk with me too and he simply said no, so I thought how sweet it was that she called just to talk with him. The doorbell rang and I peeped out the peephole to see who it was and I see a badge, my husband traveled in his job so I guess I was a bit anxious as I opened the door, and there stood two men in black (yep, just like that) they showed me their FBI badges and wanted to know who had just been talking on my phone, I told them my son, they wanted to see him, I closed the door and went to get my son, when I reopened the door I was holding him on my hip, they asked if we were the only people there, I assured them we were, they asked if I was in the habit of letting my son "play on the phone" I told them that sometimes he plays with the phone, yes, but I don't necessarily "let" him, he was just talking to his grandmother and one of them said "No ma'am, he was just talking to President Reagan, he dialed the President's private phone number, do you have any idea how much trouble it is to find a number that we can use for his private number? and you let your child play on the phone and now we have to change his number"...blah, blah, blah. I am thinking to myself that I don't see the big deal, my baby doesn't have any idea which numbers he pushed and he still thinks he talked with Granny and besides, if they're that worried, couldn't they give the president a number with more than 10 digits? So anyway, they went away knowing we weren't anarchists who were going to destroy the security of the nation, Levi made a new friend and I gained a new respect for how fast the FBI can work on a matter they think could put us in danger, oh and 6 months later, after our new baby came, Granny came for a visit and brought Levi a Big Boy (Shoney's, Bob's, or in some places Frishe's) bank, he held it, hugged it and said "Momma look, Granny brought me a Ronald Reagan doll!" THAT got a big laugh!

Comments

  1. OMG too bad u did not have a redial button back then!!! LOL love this story

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG too bad u did not have a redial button back then!!! LOL love this story

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Gaynell, I'm pretty sure that would have been inoperable pretty quickly, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts