My curiosity has me today , when was the first time you felt like a grown up? Was it when your Daddy let you help him adjust a carburetor? When he let you drive and made you promise that you wouldn't tell Mom? Was it when you baked your first cake, got your first kiss, was drafted? There are so many young people who want to hurry up and grow up and so many older people who wish they could go back a few years, when they didn't have the responsibilities of having to be grown up. No fighting with the spouse, no diaper changing (although these days it's for the grandchildren) no worrying about the bills. The bills man, they keep coming, whether you have the money to pay them or not. Being a grown up is way more than a number or a feat, you're not automatically an adult when you get your license, graduate, turn 18 or have a baby. I have heard "You can't tell me what to do, I'm 18 and I will do what I like." Not in my house! A 16 year old Mommy who lives with her parents, c'mon honey, you're just playing a role; get a job and support that baby, buy her diapers and food, that's what a grown up does. Guys, it doesn't start (or stop) when that baby is born, you made it, help take care of it, that's what a grown up does. Get a job, step up to your responsibility, you're needed, but you are not a grown up. I was the oldest of 5 and I can remember being 3 years old and changing my baby sister's diaper, I helped raise all my brothers and sister, I cooked for them, bathed them, did their laundry, but none of that ever made me feel like a grown up. When I was 16 I quit school and got a job to help support my family; that didn't make me feel like a grown up, it was just something I did. When I was 17 I lived in an apartment that was attached to my friend Terri's house, I paid rent, sent some money to Mother to help with the bills, but even that didn't make me feel like a grown up. I did enjoy helping Daddy work on the car, but that didn't make me feel like a grown up. I think the first time I felt like a grown up was when I was 21 and was handed my new born child, I suddenly felt the awesomeness of knowing that I was responsible for the creation of another human being, not a baby but a human being, this child was going to grow up some day, he has the potential to be anything and do anything, and wow, Randy and I made this human! He was our gift from God and we had the responsibility to raise him ( and later his brother) to the benefit of our fellow humans, to the glory of God. They are both wonderful people and for that I am so thankful. So...when was the first time you felt like a grown up?

Comments

Popular Posts