Snow Report



  It's so pretty with the white flakes coming down but I am thankful that snow is an uncommon event in our neck of the woods so to speak. I have lived in a lot of places that routinely have several inches of snow fall during several days, drifts of snow measured in feet, and even feet of snow on the ground. Paula Turbyfill Howard​, do you remember that big snow in Philadelphia when we had that big snow ball fight with Betsy and Dan and someone called the cops? I also remember driving and doing "donuts" in open fields and parking lots, lol, all that changed after I had children, lol, I refused to get out in it unless it was an emergency, I'd make Randy do the grocery shopping and one Christmas made him deliver my homemade goodies to the neighbors, the snow was above this knees and the temp was way below zero! I have a picture of Mother and Levi making a snowman when we lived in Cincinnati. They had so much fun. I remember my first thunder snow when we lived in Taylor, Mich, just outside of Detroit. I remember the trucks at the airport in Milwaukee, where I worked, coming and taking away the snow that had fallen in one of our parking lots, truck after truck after truck, it sure was something. I do remember a couple of good sized snows that have fallen here, one from when I was a kid and we lived in a little house on the backside of Missionary Ridge in Chatta. we hadn't seen Daddy in a couple of days and Mother (bless her heart, she was still so young) dressing the three of us children in our warmest clothes and climbing up and over the ridge, slipping and sliding all the way and as we started down the actual roadway to Chattanooga a man stopped and asked her if she wanted a ride, he asked where she was going and told her he knew our Pawpaw, he drove through the tunnel, turned around and came back for us; we had been taught not to talk to or get in the car with a stranger and Buck and I were scared but she let us know that as we were with her it was ok this one time.  I remember her making snow cream, it was so good but I never have been successful at making it like she did.  The “Blizzard of ‘93” I was in Earlanger Hospital in Chattanooga, Mother had just had surgery to remove part of a cancerous lung, and there was no way I was going to leave her alone and the funny thing is, she didn’t even know I had been there the whole time, she said if she had she would have asked for me. I had seen her while she was in recovery and I almost fainted, there was nothing that could have prepared me for what I saw, she had tubes going in and out of her body, monitors and pumps, it was horrible. But watching the snow come down against the mountain was so pretty and peaceful; I stood there for hours just watching it. It’s funny that something as simple as sitting here watching the snow fall can bring on so many memories.  I can hear the neighborhood children and wonder what they will remember about this snow in a few years?

Comments

Popular Posts