Drinking and Driving



 It was 10 years ago that I had the car accident that changed my life, some for the better and some for the worse, I have never made it a secret that I was DUI, I believe people need to know that; I wasn’t really a drinker until  just a few months before my accident, I can make excuses but they are just that, my marriage was falling apart, all the same old same old, but I made a very bad decision that night and thought I could drive home, I couldn’t. I don’t remember most of what happened, I remember somebody asking me if I was okay and I wondered why? Then I looked up and saw cows peering around the tree I had crashed into, I remember the Trooper asking me if I had been drinking and me telling him that I sure had. I remember the Trooper being with me in the hospital, asking if I agreed to a blood draw and I said yes, I took responsibility for what happened, I asked if I had hurt anybody else and was told no and thanking God for that. The hospital staff was nice to me and tried to be gentle but I didn’t feel anything, not yet anyway. I remember they called the orthopedic surgeon at home and since his wife was working he brought their 9 month old baby with him. I had a lot of serious injuries, I had broken my right ankle, crushed the heel, broke my right ring finger, the tendons didn’t heal and it is weak and crooked still, I had open and closed head injuries that have resulted in a weird type of amnesia that I really can’t explain, I also have trouble making new memories and I have forgotten so many things, things I should remember. I had to pay fines, go to court, spent 48 hours in jail and I lost my driving privileges for a year and after that I had to carry an insurance policy with a higher premium for 5 years. But, I feel that this was actually an act of God, He had given me several warnings to change what I was doing and I didn’t listen, so this was His way to stop me.  All I went through could have been much, much worse. The first night I spent in jail was horrible and I started to cry and then I told myself to stop, I did this to myself and this was the consequence, so I did stop and just sat there listening to the sounds around me and just couldn’t understand why in the world someone would do it more than once? I see on the news some people have lots and lots of DUI arrests, and I wonder what in the world is wrong with these people. I told the Trooper that I wish someone could film what I was going through and show it to high school kids, if one person saw what I went through and it stopped them it would have been worth it.  I had been and still am very opposed to drinking and driving and believe me if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone. Someone even asked me if I had more understanding of drunk drivers after my wreck and I said no, I deserved what happened to me, I have always said if you drive drunk you deserve what happens to you and I felt that way then and I feel that way now. It is not something I am going to repeat and I am so very thankful that I was able to survive and hope that what happened to me may stop it from happening to someone else. Please, please, if you drink don’t drive, have a designated driver and if you are the DD, stay with non alcoholic drinks, the life you save might be your own.

Comments

  1. Carla, thank you for sharing such a personal experience with us. Your story will never leave my head or my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carla, I'm an old friend from 10 years ago. I remember your car wreck and the suffering you went through while healing. I remember you posting about your boys and that one boy went to war, I prayed for his safe return. I remember Levi's wedding and pictures of him and his new wife. Do you know that I'm the person who saved your photo of you and Levi standing close together and that I cropped your beautiful face out, I brightened it up a little and sent it to you. I loved that photo and I'm very happy to see that you use it as an avatar.
    This blog you wrote is a great, meaningful service to those drivers who drive DUI.
    Bless you,
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much John, but the picture you cropped of me was my David who had just come back from Iraq, but it was Levi who got married. You were one of my biggest supporters after my wreck, it took me so long to get from my bed to the computer and by the time I got there I was so exhausted that I only sat there a few minutes, but it seemed that no matter what time of day or night I made it, you were always there to give me encouragement and I thank you for that dear friend.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts